Sunday, December 29, 2013

One tough deer !!!

*** Please be advised that some of the following images of this deer may be disturbing. ***

 
I first laid eyes on "Broken Jaw" aka "Lump Jaw" during the winter of 2010 - 2011. She and her fawn came regularly for a nibble of oats. During the darkest days of winter, it is difficult to get photos of the deer in their wanderings, but as spring approaches, they arrive when it is still daylight. I was finally able to take images of her on April 16,2011.



While it was great to see the other deer, I had a particular interest in "BJ". She had a hugely enlarged lower jaw and what seemed to be small antlers on her forehead. At the time, I did some online research that suggested that a doe can grow antlers. There were a number of reasons WHY this might happen.

Her grossly swollen jaw, however, caused me concern. She was able to eat by moving her head in a sideways scooping motion. I still do not know what affliction has caused this huge swelling but from time to time, it bursts open and looks very painful.





Her range shifted more to the west last winter but I did see her in late fall and early spring. Oh my, she looked like death warmed over and then some. She did not have a fawn with her. I really thought that would be the last time I would see her ... ever! *GRAPHIC IMAGE*



This year, "BJ" is back! Truly a miracle of survival against the odds! She does not have a fawn again. She travels with a younger doe and stops by nightly for treats. Her jaw, although still festering, has done a fair bit of healing and downsizing. Her left antler is about 4 inches long...longer than I have ever seen it ... and is oddly crooked. Other than that, she looks good!




I wish her well!!!

NOTE:    The photos of "BJ" were taken through double-paned windows and in challenging light. I have tried to enhance them in a way that allows for more clarity in viewing her.

No comments:

Post a Comment