Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Sum of the Parts = Perfection !!!

Today I shall introduce you to one of the largest moths we have in Saskatchewan  -  Hyalophora columbia gloveri - Glovers Silk Moth.  Perfection with wings!




These moths are attracted to the "black light" I have set up in the garden.  They are BIG moths and yet incredibly difficult to find as they hide so well.  This past year, I caught and released 5 of these beauties!  They are active in early June.



Cooled in the fridge, they are relatively easy to work with.   They are docile and tractable.  They must be handled with great care. Previous to the arrival of this moth, I was unable to hold a big-bodied moth in my hand as, simply put, it greebled me out.  Ewww!





I was so enamoured by this particular one that, for a moment, I considered what it might look like mounted on black velvet in a display frame. Hmmmmmmmmm???



That particular moment passed, as it gracefully left the warmth of my hand and departed to carry out its destiny.  Once airborn, it was the size of a small bird with a wingspan of 5 inches.  I marvelled in the wake of its wingbeats! 


No comments:

Post a Comment